The Best Places To Eat Gyudon (Beef Bowl) In Singapore
Japanese style Gyudon or beef bowls consist of perfectly seared beef over a steaming bowl of rice. The best Gyudon is also topped with a perfectly runny sunny side up egg that gives the bowl a creamy texture. This comforting and familiar dish is a complete meal by itself. It’s both filling and satisfying for any time of the day, and it’s great for a takeaway too.
Here are some of the best places in Singapore to find your bowl of Gyudon.
1. The Burning Oak
Despite being a humble stall at Bedok Marketplace, The Burning Oak actually serves up gourmet style beef bowls using premium Wagyu beef. Their Wagyu Rump Cap bento set ($13) is luxury at an affordable price. You can also find other such creations like the Wagyu Rump and Iberico Pork bowl and Slow Cooked Pork Cheeks covered in honey star anise sauce. All lunch sets come with a bowl of miso soup and are served from 12 pm – 1.30 pm.
- Address: #02-16, Bedok Marketplace, 348 Bedok Road, Singapore 469560
- Opening hours: Tuesdays to Thursdays, 12 pm to 1.30pm and 6 pm to 9.30pm; Fridays to Saturdays, 12 pm to 1.30pm and 6 pm to 10 pm; Sundays 6 pm to Closed on Mondays.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/the.burning.oak.singapore/
2. Sandaime Bunji
Sandaime Bunju is an eatery run by Japanese owners who bring the authentic Izakaya style dining direct to Singapore. Among their selection of dainty dishes is the Wagyu Round Roast Mountain set, where slices of tender Wagyu beef is piled high on a bed of rice and served with oxtail soup, tofu, and salad. Apart from this they also have plenty of dishes for beef lovers, like the Wagyu sirloin steak, Gyutan steak, and Wagyu Kalvi skewers.
- Address: #01-14/15, Millenia Walk, 9 Raffles Boulevard, Singapore 039596
- Opening Hours: Mondays to Fridays, 11.30am to 3 pm and 5 pm to 11 pm; Saturdays, 11.30am to 11 pm; Sundays, 11.30am to 9 pm.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SandaimeBunji/
3. Waa Cow!
Waa Cow’s best selling point is its ability to sell Wagyu beef bowls at really affordable prices. One of Waa Cow’s top-selling product is their Mentaiko beef bowl ($21.90), where tender and thick slices of sous vide Wagyu beef is served with fluffy rice and topped with creamy Mentaiko sauce and a soft onsen tamago (soft boiled egg). Apart from this, fans of beef will also love their Ultimate Beef Sushi Platter ($36.80) with eight pieces of wagyu beef sushi in different flavours and textures.
Try Waa Cow with ShopBack GO and earn up to 5% cashback.
- Address: Two locations at NUS University Town and Marina One. Check their Facebook for details
- Opening hours: Mondays to Saturdays, 11.30am -7.30pm (NUS); Mondays to Fridays: 11.30am – 2.30pm, 5.30pm – 9.30pm (Marina One)
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Waa-Cow-280654782563921/
4. Koji Sushi Bar
Many who visit Koji Sushi Bar do so for the fresh sashimi and Omakase (multiples courses) style dining, but they actually have a lot more than that. This Japanese restaurant is also home to fuss-free donburi or rice bowls. One of these carefully crafted rice bowls is the Wagyu Sukiyaki ($28) with juicy Wagyu beef simmered in broth to give a succulent finish.
- Address: 3 Pickering Street #01-42 Singapore 048660
- Opening hours: Mondays to Saturdays, 11.30am -3.00pm; 6pm -10pm. Closed on Sundays
- Website: http://www.kojisushi.com.sg/
The Gyudon at Maru is nothing short of luxurious. Here you’ll find the Truffle Beef Cube Don ($25). Beef is cooked in a truffle red wine sauce and served with flavorful garlic fried rice and topped with an onsen egg and shimeji mushrooms. Apart from that, there’s also the Wagyu Don ($38) where a generous portion of seared Wagyu beef is served with rice, seaweed salt, shio konbu, white truffle oil, onsen egg, and yakiniku sauce.
- Address: Icon Village, 12 Gopeng Street #01-05 to #01-11 Singapore 078877
- Opening hours: Mondays to Saturdays, 11.30am-3pm; 6pm-10.30pm. Closed on Sundays
- Website: http://marusg.com/
6. Kogane Yama
Kogane Yama is your friendly neighbourhood donburi shop selling a wide variety of rice bowls for below $15. Beef lovers will want to order their Gyu don ($13.90) with stir-fried Wagyu beef served over rice and topped with crispy fried garlic chips and an onsen egg. What really sets this beef bowl apart is surely the garlic chips, that lend a boost of flavour to the bowl.
Try Kogane Yama with ShopBack GO and earn up to 5% cashback.
- Address: Bugis Junction 200 Victoria Street #02-50, Singapore
- Opening hours: Daily, 11 am -10 pm
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/koganeyamasingapore/
It pays to eat out when you use ShopBack GO. With more than 500 restaurants listed, you’ll be able to get discounts and deals wherever you are in Singapore. Find out how to use ShopBack GO on your next beef bowl excursion and get rewarded for your cravings.
Prime Spots for Great Beef in Singapore with ShopBack GO
Singapore River Festival 2019 - What To Do and Where To Eat
Campus Showdown! Best Food in Singapore's Uni and Poly Campuses
Do you love to write and would like to see your work published here? Check how you can guest post here.